Reduce your water waste and water costs. Follow these easy tips to save water:
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth.
- Only run the washing machine and dishwasher when you have a full load.
- Fill a sink with water to rinse dishes versus running water while rinsing them.
- Take shorter showers. A 10-minute shower uses anywhere from 25 to 70 gallons of water.
- Use a low flow shower head and faucet aerators.
- Fix leaks. Leaky faucets can add up! Drip-calculator
- Install a dual flush or low flow toilet or put a conversion kit on your existing toilet.
- Water your lawn late in evenings or early mornings.
- Plan a xeriscape garden (Tamu.edu). Use plants in your garden that are native to South Texas and are drought tolerant.
- Catch runoff from your roof and store in rain barrels (Rainwater Harvesting - dcmga.com)).
- Monitor your daily water usage by signing up for My Water Advisor. Free service and could help you save money!
- Share your knowledge about saving water through conservation and efficiency with your neighbors.
For more tips visit the US Environmental Protection Agency's WaterSense at WaterSense | US EPA .